Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"I hope you know that this.. will go down on your permanent record."


This year I'm part of the Artist in Residence Program of CITY WIDE OPEN STUDIOS, New Haven.(Oct 28-29) This program allows - about a dozen artist (out of the 450 that are participating) the opportunity to create a site specific installation in the room of their choice. It also allows them access to the space for a month prior to the show.

The Alternative Space this year is the old abandoned Hamden Middle School, right on the edge of New Haven. It's an amazing space filled with old classrooms-complete with desks and black boards.. it even has an old cafeteria with a working conveyer belt.

While exploring on the second floor, looking for the perfect space, I saw a door marked "FACULTY LOUNGE" and had to go in. The inside was filled with old tables and -what I bet at one time were considered stylish and comfortable- lounge chairs. Overall, the space was too big for what I had in mind - then I noticed a door marked "ADULTS ONLY" in the back of the lounge. Of course I had to go in - and I'm so glad I did! There was MY ROOM.. 4 walls and skylights..not too big..not too small....PERFECT! The only catch: it was FILLED - wall to wall - with FILE CABINETS. .....Say hello to the "Records Room".

So "we" (THANK YOU ROLAND) instantly began to clear it out. The best thing yet, ( in a "glass half full" way of thinking) - was that at one time the carpet had gotten wet.. so the bottoms of the cabinets were rusted and stuck to it. So, when we moved them -they in turn pulled up the carpet for us.

After we rolled up the carpet - I remembered we had the camera with us -and took the above picture(s) - I so wish I had gotten a picture of my room filled with file cabinets.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a great time speaking with you yesterday @ Nathan's.
Can't wait to see you and "Adults Only" room on the 28th and 29th. I love the copy piece you did with the kids@ the Aldrich. You are a fun and cool lady. So your Art Star Pleased to meet you, I have read your comments on HoboWilson's site.
Suz

9:28 AM, October 15, 2006  
Blogger *ArtStar* said...

yes- nice to meet you as well Suz!

Thanks - I'm really glad you like the piece w/the kids. I could've NEVER gotten that done in time without Nathan's help. In particular -He constructed the tree trunk (among other bits) - i think you can tell - its rough and kind of manly. ; )

...and yes, I'm (( ART STAR )) - haven't commented in a while on HoboWilson's site - but i will again soon...

10:50 AM, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>